WANTED - Stowmarket Half Marathon Marshals Can you help us out?
When you joined the club you all completed a membership form, which you will be asked to re-sign annually when you pay your subscription for the next year. The declaration you sign states;
"I................ agree to abide by the rules of the club".
...have you ever seen a copy of the rules of the club? The committee have reviewed the rules and had them thoroughly checked by a legal expert. They are now published below for you all to see.
Rules / Constitution of Stowmarket Striders Running Club
Community Amateur Sports Club
1. The Club shall be called the Stowmarket Striders Running Club.
2. The objects of the Club are to provide facilities for running for the members and to promote and encourage running as a sport in Mid Suffolk.
Officers and Management Committee
3. The Officers of the club shall be;
4. They shall be proposed, seconded and elected by ballot at each Anual General Meeting. They shall hold office until the next Annual General Meeting when they shall retire but shall be eligible for re-election from year to year.
5. The entire management of the Club (except as otherwise provided by these Rules) shall be deputed to a Management Committee (hereinafter called "the Management Committee").
6. The Management Committee shall consist of all the Officers of the Club and not less than one or no more than nine other members ofthe Club who shall be proposed, seconded and elected by ballot at each Annual General Meeting. Elected members of the Management Committee shall hold officed until he next Annual General Meeting when they shall retre but shall be eligible for re-election from year to year.
7. Three members of the Management Committee shall form a quorum.
8. The Management Committee shall meet at least once a month during the year to arrange the affairs of the Club. Minutes shall be taken of all proceedings of the Committee and shall be open to the inspection of any member of the Club applying to the Secretary therefore.
9. The Management Committee may from time to time appoint from among their number such sub-committees as they deem necessary or expedient and may depute or refer to them such of the powers and duties of the Management Committee as the Management Committee may determine. Such sub-committees shall periodically report their proceedings to the Management Committee and shall conduct their business in accordance with the directions of the Management Committee.
10. The Management Committee will fill any casual vacancy on the Management Committee. Any member so chosen for the Management Committee shall retire at the following Annual General Meeting and shall be eligible as a candidate for election on the Management Committee at such Annual General Meeting.
11. The Management Committee in addition to the powers herein specifically conferred upon them shall have the control of the finances of the Club, power to engage control and dismiss the Club servants and all such administrative powers as may be necessary for properly carrying out the objects of the Club in accordance with these rules.
12. The Secretary shall conduct the correspondence of the Club and shall have the custody of all documents belonging to the Club. He shall keep full and correct minutes of all proceedings and records of all competitions of the Club.
13. Neither the Club nor the Management Committee shall be liable for injuries incurred by Club members running on official Club sessions or in their own time. Reference to the clubs insurance may be appropriate in case of injury.
14. The club shall be deemed as non-profit making and as such any surplus income or gains shall be reinvested into the club. Surpluses or assets cannot be distributed to its members or to third parties.
15. The Treasurer shall keep the accounts of the Club and shall make up the annual statement of accounts and balance sheet of the Club to the 31st day of December each year which shall be circulated amongst the members with a notice of the Annual General Meeting. All payments made for or on behalf of the Club shall be made by cheque only, such cheques to be signed on behalf of the Club by the Treasurer and either the Chairman or Secretary, or by such officers of the Club as the Management Committee shall determine.
16. An auditor shall be appointed at the Annual General Meeting. The auditor shall audit the annual statements of account and balance sheet and shall certify the same before it is printed.
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
17. The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held each year in the month of January at such time and place as the Management Committee shall determine.
18. Any member desirous of moving any resolution at the Annual General Meeting shall give notice thereof in writing to the Secretary not less than seven days before the date of such meeting.
19. The Management Committee shall call an Extraordinary General Meeting when any question of urgent importance shall arise and shall be bound to do so on receiving a requisition signed by five members of the Club.
20. At least ten days notice of any General Meeting specifying the business to be transacted and the day, place and hour of meeting shall be notified to the membership by electronically to the email address held in the membership records. Members with no electronic mail address will be notified by postal letter.
21. Subject to Rule 22 no rule of the Club shall be repealed or altered and no new rules shall be made save by a two-thirds majority of the members present at a General Meeting. Not less than three weeks written notice of the intention to propose any new rule or alteration shall be given to the secretary who shall send notice of the same to every member by electronically to the email address held in the membership records not less than ten days before the General Meeting. Members with no electronic mail address will be notified by postal letter.
22. The Management Committee is empowered to make, repeal and amend all such byelaws and regulations (not inconsistent with these rules) as they may from time to time consider necessary for the well being of the Club. Such byelaws, repeals and amendments shall have effect till otherwise determined by the Management Committee or a General Meeting.
23. Membership of the Club shall be open to anyone interested in the sport on application regardless of sex, age, disability, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religion or other beliefs. However, limitation of membership according to available facilities is allowable on a non discriminatory basis.
24. The Club may have different classes of membership and subscription on a non discriminatory and fair basis. The Club will keep subscriptions at levels that will not pose a significant obstacle to people participating.
25. The Club Committee may refuse membership, or remove it, only for good cause such as conduct or character likely to bring the Club or sport into disrepute. Appeal against refusal or removal may be made to the members.
26. Every member shall be bound by and submit to the Rules and byelaws of the Club
27. The annual subscription for members shall be such sum as shall be determined at the Annual General Meeting by a simple majority of the members present thereat. Subscriptions shall be due on the 1st Day of April in every year.
28. All annual subscriptions shall be payable on the first day of April in every year and if after a reminder has been given a subscription has not been paid on or before 31st May following, the defaulter shall thereupon be subject to a financial penalty, in addition to the annual subscription, of an amount determined at the Annual General Meeting by a simple majority of the members present thereat.
28.1. Club Membership is subject to the ‘expectation’ that each member will marshal at least one Club organised race throughout the year. This will not be policed, nor mandatory, but operate on a goodwill basis. Members will be given the option to select one or more races to volunteer to marshal over the next 12 months at renewal or initial subscription to help ease the pressures of the Club hosting races. .
29. Every year, the Club applies for a number of guaranteed London Marathon places (herein-after referred to as 'club places'). Members wishing to apply for a club place must request an application form from a member of the Management Committee. The form should be completed by the member and handed to a member of the Management Committee before the deadline that shall be set and advertised by the Management Committee. The application form should be accompanied by proof of rejection of the member's independent application (see Rule 30, Criterion b).
30. For a member of the club to stand chance of being awarded one of the club places, the following criteria must be met:
a.The applicant must have been a fully paid up first claim club member for 18 months before the date of the London Marathon in question.
b.The applicant must have run a minimum of 4 established races for the club in the year prior to the London Marathon in question.
c. The applicant must have marshalled at least 1 race on behalf of Stowmarket Striders in the year prior to the London Marathon in question.
d. Any member who has secured a club place in the previous 5 years shall not be eligible to reapply.
e. Successful members must agree to run as a club member and wear club kit. consisting of Club vest and black shorts or leggings. It is permissible to wear a black undershirt beneath the Club vest.
31. Following receipt of application forms (Rule 29), the members applications that satisfy all criteria as set out in rule 30 shall be randomly drawn, to the number of club places available, to decide the members who shall be awarded the club places.
32. Any member may resign his membership by giving to the secretary notice in writing to that effect provided that if notice be given after the first day of March in any year he shall be liable to pay his subscription for that year.
Discipline and Appeals
33. All complaints regarding the behaviour of members should be submitted in writing to the Club Welfare Officer. A Disciplinary Committee will meet to hear complaints within ten days of a complaint being lodged. Whether the attendance of the member against whom action is being taken is required will be decided by the committee and notified to the member at least three days prior to the disciplinary meeting. At such meeting the member shall be allowed to offer an explanation for conduct verbally or in writing.
34. The clubs disciplinary committee will comprise of the Chairman, Club Secretary, Membership Secretary (if position is elected), Treasurer (if relating to finances), Welfare Officer and a male or female coach or captain. The Club Secretary will take minutes of any disciplinary meeting, which will be held by the club and will be made available to the member upon appeal.
35. The Committee has the power to take appropriate disciplinary action. In any case where disciplinary action is brought forth, the member will receive at least (but not limited to) one of the following outcomes:
a. An initial warning (which expires after 6 months);
b. A second warning (which expires after 12 months);
c. Suspension from the club (for a fixed period to be set by the committee);
d. A final written warning (no expiration); or
e. Expulsion from the club.
36. The outcome of a disciplinary hearing will be notified to the person who lodged the complaint and the member against whom the complaint was made within 7 days of the hearing. There will be the right of appeal to the Management Committee following disciplinary action being announced. The committee should consider the appeal within 21 days of the Welfare Officer receiving the appeal.
37. Any person on ceasing to be a member of the Club shall forfeit all right to and claim upon the Club its property and funds.
38. If at any General Meeting a resolution for the dissolution of the Club shall be passed by a majority of the members present, and such resolution shall at a Special General Meeting held not less than one month thereafter at which not less than one-half of the members shall be present be confirmed by a resolution passed by a majority of two-thirds of the members voting thereon, the Management Committee shall thereupon or at such future date as shall be specified in such resolution proceed to realise the property of the Club and after the discharge of all liabilities shall apply the net assets to an approved sporting or charitable purpose and upon the completion of such the Club shall be dissolved.